Tuesday 16 September 2008

Friston Forest in detail

We went to a different part of Friston Forest today, and I thought I'd take some small detail photos this time. But it wasn't going to happen today; didn't get excited about anything I saw. I was hoping to see some interesting shrooms, but it's been too dry (for a change!) recently. Then I remembered that I've been meaning to test whether it is possible to use macro extension rings with the Canon 100-400mm lens. So I thought I'd give it a try.



Absolutely! OK, what can we find to take photos of...






All the above photos are straight from the camera non-cropped, focal length 390mm shots, taken from hmmm maybe about 50-70cm from the subject. The closest focusing distance of the Canon 100-400mm lens is 1.8m, but with the macro extension rings the closest focusing distance is reduced, thus the subject appears bigger in the frame. When I was on the Sussex Summer Safari with David Plummer earlier this year, first off I started taking photos with the 100-400mm, but soon realised that due to the 1.8m minimum focusing distance of the lens it wasn't practical at all when trying to take photos of butterflies. That's when I got the idea of trying macro extension rings with it, and although David said he wouldn't do it, I'm actually quite pleased with the results: I can take the shot from a lot further away than when using my 70mm (Canon 24-70mm "macro"). So until I buy myself a true macro lens, I'll have a little play with this interesting combination.

1 comment:

Geminai said...

I'm not sure what macro extension rings are ... are they the filters you put on the front of the lens that give like +1, +2 and +4 magnification and the like?