Saturday 9 January 2010

Custom bokeh

A little while ago I saw somewhere on the internet a tutorial on how to make custom shape bokeh. As I was putting a piece of thin cardboard into the bin today, I suddenly remembered the tutorial and decided to give it a go. I did a very crude version, though, so the results are absolute rubbish, but here are a couple of shots for now.

One of our bookshelves with fairy lights.



My trusty model with boketa fairy lights in the background.



Of course, when you take a vertical photo you should remember to rotate your bokeh mask... otherwise you get all your heart shapes lying on their side.



Well, next time I'm going to do a proper mask with a beautiful shape and some thought behind the image. Until then... try one yourself: here's a link to one tutorial.

1 comment:

Geminai said...

I LOVE this! I'm so glad I came back to read your blogs today. :) I'm totally gonna give this a shot. Well, it may be after the wedding before I get time to play, but I'm gonna! I think this would be interesting around fireworks or Christmas lights. :)