Friday 21 August 2009

Finland Day 10

Today:



We slept in this morning in our hotel in Turku and enjoyed every minute of it... and then headed for Helsinki. Parked our car and walked to Esplanadi. While having lunch at Kappeli, these guys entertained us on the Esplanadi Stage:



The Show Band of The Finnish Defence Forces (!). They were really good! Played some jazzy adn Blues Brothers-y stuff and such. I'd never seen such a thing when I lived in Finland.

There were more surprises. Apparently this is what happens on an ordinary day in Helsinki.

Scarcely clad youngsters in a fountain.



With other youngsters giving orders.






And...









Truth be told, today was Taiteiden Yö, or Night of The Arts in Helsinki, when lots of strange things happen, apparently. If nothing else, it was probably the most Finns I've seen in one place at any time before.



Around 11 pm we rode to Vantaa with our friends Kimmo and Meiju, as Kimmo was playing the bass at a gig with Kiiva. It was a strange venue where no over 20's were allowed, it seemed.



...and the band, who have fabulous music of their own, were hired to play cover music only.



Sadly, I think I took the worst ever photos of the band! Seriously. They didn't ask me to take photos as such, but they said they could use some gig photos, and I would have loved to give them great shots.... but for some reason I just couldn't get really good shots. As an excuse, I could say that the lighting at the venue was appalling - and it was - but I would like to a be good enough photographer to come back with great shots whatever the circumstances. Sadly, I'm not that good yet. I still have so much to learn... especially about using flash!









Soon after the one-hour set, the disco returned...





No comments: